Episode 39: Spice Up Your Hikes
Have you ever had participants, campers, or family members complain about being bored on a hike? Our hosts have got 22 suggestions for you to ‘spice up’ your standard hikes to make them more fun and keep everyone engaged.
Shows we’re watching:
Curt – The Magicians
Patti – Serenity
In this episode we learn that Patti treats her husband like a camper and tries to ‘gamify’ hiking, and Curt likes to turn hikes into an animal safari.
Many of Curt’s suggestions come from roundtable submissions, you can check out his store here.
Our hosts also suggest:
- Look for faces
- Story trail – Paula DeTellis- Dirt Boy by Eric John Slangerup
- Nature scavenger hunt
- Sarah Magesy – Colour swatch hunt
- Shape hunt
- Fairy hunt – Paula DeTellis
- Un-nature hunt – Patty Bennett
- Night hike – Spark to Flame store
- Terri Fisher – Rock & shell rock and painting
- Plant trees – Charitree Foundation (I think registration is over, but it’s still worth checking out for next year)
- Philip Drake – Binocular scavenger hunt
- Meet a tree
- Random rocks of kindness – Cory Stephens
- Look for marshmallow sticks
- Wanda – Sarah Magesy
- Imaginary play, create a story
- Secret Message – Lisa Hoffman
- Bring snacks
- Mary Pope – Happy Trails Large Group Hiking
What are your go to hiking tricks for keeping participants engaged?
And in case you were curious about the shows referenced in the episode… here’s a sneak peek.
Things we’re grateful for
Curt – Rain, source of life
Patti – Spring
If you could choose to be one character from Harry Potter, who would you be?
Curt – Cedric Diggory, because he was a rockstar Hufflepuff.
Patti – Professer MaGonagall, cause she’s a bad Aword, Bword… and cats!
Tell us who you’d like to be!
Have you ever had an imaginary friend?
Patti – was a weird kid.
Curt – made friends with a Tom Thumb imposter fairy.
How to reach us
Curt: Summer Camp Pro
Patti: The Camp Nerd